- HOME & Contact
- About NENA
- CEO - Brian Fontes
- Executive Board
- NENA Staff
- Government Affairs
- NENA Development Group
- Education Advisory Board
- Committees & Liaisons
- Past Presidents
- Government Affairs
- NENA 2011
- Register Online
- Registration Form
- Hotel Reservations
- Educational Sessions
- Pre-Conference Courses
- Keynote Speaker: Aron Ralston
- Public Policy General Session
- Super Session
- Special Workshops
- Exhibitor Information
- Exhibit Hall Floor Plan
- Discover Minneapolis
- Spouse & Guest Tours
- PSAP Tours
- Networking & Special Events
- Download Brochure
- URISA/NENA Addressing
- 2011 TDC/ODC
- 9-1-1 Goes to Washington
- NENA 2011
- Public & Media
- Member Rewards
9-1-1 Education Month
Do you know how to make 9-1-1 work for you?
For forty years, 9-1-1 has served as the vital link between the American public and emergency services. Public education and awareness initiatives throughout the years have contributed in large measure to the incredible and ongoing success of the emergency communications system as a whole. It is imperative that 9-1-1 professionals, teachers, government officials, media representatives, and industry leaders are equipped with the tools necessary to continue these efforts in the face of an ever-changing telecommunications landscape, and that citizens of all ages are well versed in the role they play in ensuring effective and efficient emergency response for themselves and their fellow citizens.
The below resources are meant to provide you with the tools necessary to educate yourself and your community on the proper use of the 9-1-1 system, no matter which side of the phone you are on.
Features, Tools, & Resources
- Know 9-1-1 Website - The National 9-1-1 Education Coalition (of which NENA is a member) recently announced the creation of www.know911.org. This website, a main component of the Coalition’s 9-1-1: The Number to Know campaign, is designed to bolster 9-1-1 education efforts across the nation and provide valuable resources to individuals, agencies, companies, and communities about the importance of 9-1-1 and its proper use.
- Making 9-1-1 Work for YOU! E-Brochure* - Designed to provide essential, age-appropriate, targeted information about the 9-1-1 system and emergency response, these downloadable PDFs are yours reproduce and distribute to the general public, children, teens, and parents in conjunction with your 9-1-1 educational efforts during National 9-1-1 Education Month and throughout the rest of the year. *New version released 04.10.09
- Video PSA - Courtesy Greater Harris County 9-1-1 Emergency Network. This spot is airing in movie theaters around Houston, TX, this month and would make a perfect addition to any 9-1-1 public education website. It is available as a download or on NENA's YouTube page. To reuse with permission, contact Sonya Lopez-Clauson, ENP.
- Audio Public Service Announcements - Courtesy the Central Texas Council of Governments. These three radio PSAs (1, 2, 3) are a great way to provide short bursts of critical information to the public about the do's and don'ts of the 9-1-1 system. To reuse with permission, contact Cindy Bridges, ENP.
Draft 9-1-1 Education Month Resolution - Help make 9-1-1 education a priority in your city, county, or state by encouraging stakeholders to adopt resolutions identifying April as 9-1-1 Education Month. This template can be modified for use by groups large or small, public or private.
- 9-1-1 Education Month Press Release Template - Help NENA and 9-1-1 get the word out about Education Month! Put this press release on your agency or company letterhead, fill in a few blanks, and send it out to the media to help bring attention to local and national initiatives.
- 9-1-1 Statistics & Tips Press Release Template - Courtesy of Illinois APCO and NENA 9-1-1 PSA/Public Education Committee, this press release can be modified to provide useful information and statistics about 9-1-1 in your area.
- 9-1-1 Education Month Banner - Download this graphic and place it on your website to help promote 9-1-1 awareness and National 9-1-1 Education Month! If you are looking for something larger to use on printed materials, this banner is also available.
- 9-1-1 Professional of the Day - During National Public Safety Telecommunications Week 2010, NENA profiled a different 9-1-1 professional each weekday, with each writing about his or her experiences in emergency communications. NPSTW 2009 interviews can be found here.
- 9-1-1 Video Tips - As part of our 2009 9-1-1 Education Month activities, NENA released a series of ten videos containing key messages aimed at helping the public understand when, why, and how to contact emergency services. Feel free to add the videos to your own public education website in our shared effort to promote awareness and proper usage of the 9-1-1 system!
- Illinois 9-1-1 Information - A joint venture of I-NENA and IL-APCO featuring public education flyers, PSAs, and a "9-1-1 Challenge" activity.
- 9-1-1 for Kids - Contains educational resources for children of all ages
NENA welcomes your input and contributions.
If you would like to make your educational resources available to other 9-1-1 professionals, or would like your local 9-1-1 Education Month / Public Safety Telecommunications Week events and activities listed on this page, contact NENA's Education Programs Manager Chris Nussman.