|NENA News Editorial/Submission Guidelines
Objective: The NENA News is the seminal trade journal dealing with technical and management issues that effect 9-1-1 and emergency communications. The publication is bimonthly (beginning with Winter/January 2003). Articles should be submitted by NENA members and prominent members of the telecommuications and public safety industries.
Editorial Guidelines: Articles submitted for consideration for publication in the NENA News should have the following attributes:
- The article should not include commercial promotion elements.
- The article should describe a current and significant development in 9-1-1 technology or management and have long-term relevance with an emphasis on theory and principles of 9-1-1 operations.
- Feature articles should be 1,000 to 3,000 words in length (including biography and contact information), typed, single-spaced, in 12 pt. text and void of special formatting. Pictures and graphics are encouraged and should be emailed as separate attachments or sent on disk. Submissions should be emailed to [email protected], or mailed on disk with hard copy to NENA Headquarters. All items submitted should be in IBM-PC readable format.
- The Vendor News section is a forum in which commercial members of the industry may share press releases or news briefs. Vendor News articles should be formatted and submitted as above (no faxes please), with a maximum length of 325 words, including biography and contact information. NENA reserves the right to edit Vendor News articles as necessary.
- Regional/Chapter/Other news: NENA Chapters and members throughout our regions are encouraged to send Regional News items regarding 9-1-1 and public safety events in their areas. News items should be limited to 400 words and include the author or submitters name. Related photos are encouraged.
- Calendar items for the NENA/9-1-1 Event Calendar should include event name, dates, location, and who to contact for more information.
- Submitted articles will be reviewed by the NENA News editor and publisher prior to acceptance for publication.
- All articles are subject to editing for style, clarity and length.
- At the editor and publishers discretion, authors of substantive articles chosen for publication are awarded a NENA News authors award.
Editorial Calendar: While NENA does design an editorial focus calendar in advance for the NENA News magazine, these topics are subject to change. As the only association dedicated solely to the technical and managerial issues in 9-1-1, NENA is committed to educating and informing our members and their peers in the industry about the most up-to-date and critical issues and concerns in 9-1-1.
NENA does not solicit articles for the web site (www.nena.org). Rather it will be used for NENAs immediate purposes of communicating with and providing benefits for the membership. NENA Commercial Web Ads are contracted and invoiced by the calendar year, using the order form provided (form includes specifications).
NENA Web Employment Postings are also ordered with the form provided and are ordered in increments of months. The fee is $25/month for members and $50/month for non-members. While payment should be made in advance given the low fees, we can invoice on an as-needed basis. This we do as a result of most municipalities needing to be invoiced for everything. Commercial members and employment agencies should pay in advance. We do not prorate the rates for ads that run only a portion of a month.
NENA News articles should be submitted electronically to [email protected] or mailed on disk to Sonya Carius at NENA Headquarters.